I'm in UR stash kn1tting UR n0r0

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Knitting Tourist

We love to visit the Norskfolkmuseum but rarely get out there. We are still discovering new things in the place. Like this lady quietly knitting in one of the cabins -- how's that for a summer job!

And I don't know how I ever missed it before: the weaver's shop. Really, all things fiber, and lots more than just knitting. There were old spinning wheels and huge looms (both of which I failed to get pictures of) and some great displays on lesser-known fiber crafts:

Nålbinding, which I think ususally looks a little stiff and awkward like this:

but can also look soft and airy and beautiful like this:

I wish I'd bought the learn-to-nålbind kit. For that matter, I wish I'd bought the learn-to-use a knitty noddy (knitting nancy, strikkelise). As it is, I saw this display:

and bought just the knitty noddy, thinking "hey the internet is a big place, I'm sure there's good instructions somewhere..." Well, sometimes even Google can't help you, and you know how it's harder to find things in a really big place sometimes? If anyone has any pointers to online tutorials or anything, please share.

1 comment:

Pinneguri said...

No lesson, sorry, but I must say Folkemuseet is underrated as a source and inspiration. But I do think it's their fault, not enough good exhibitions really wanting to show us what they have.
A whiner, moi?!